SEND Local Offer

The changes in the Children and Families Bill affect the way children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) are supported in schools. The new approach began in September 2014 and places pupils at the centre of planning. The key principles of the new legislation are:

  1. Young people and their families should be involved in discussion about support they need, so they can share their knowledge and feed back to the school on the pupils' progress.
  2. Education Health Care Plans (EHCP) will replace statements of SEN. New assessments for additional educational needs will follow the EHCP guidelines from September 2014. (Existing statements will remain in force until all pupils have completed the transition to EHC Plans, which will be within three years).
  3. School Action and School Action Plus will cease and will be replaced by a single school based category for children who need extra, specialist support.

The Hadleigh Pyramid schools are working collaboratively to coordinate their working approach to these changes. Fundamental to the new Code of Practice is the belief that children and their families' involvement is central to securing the best outcomes for pupils with special educational needs.


Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child's Educational Needs and/or Disabilities (SEND)?

The class teachers/form tutor

He/She is responsible for:

  • Ensuring that all pupils have access to good or outstanding teaching and that the curriculum is adapted to meet your child's individual needs.
  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and letting the SEN Team know as necessary.
  • Communicating specific targets and sharing and reviewing these with parents at Parents' Evenings
  • Providing specific feedback to your child on what they have achieved and how they can progress through regular marking of your child's work
  • Knowing the needs of the students and planning their lessons accordingly to meet these needs
  • Ensuring all members of staff working with your child in school are aware of your child's individual needs and/or conditions and what specific adjustments need to be made to enable them to be included and make progress.
  • Teachers and support staff attend training that is relevant to the needs of groups or specific pupils.

The Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO)

The SENCO is responsible for:

  • Coordinating all the support for students with special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEN) and developing the school's SEN Policy to make sure all pupils get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.
  • Ensuring that you are:
  • involved in supporting your child's learning
  • kept informed about the support your child is getting
  • involved in reviewing how they are doing
  • part of planning ahead for them.
  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child's learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology etc...
  • Updating the school's SEND record of need (a system for ensuring all the SEN needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that there are records of your child's progress and needs.
  • To provide specialist support for staff in the school so they can help your child (and other pupils with SEN in the school) achieve the best possible progress in school.
  • Ensuring school staff are aware of the needs of individual pupils
  • Advising school staff of recommended strategies to support individual pupils with SEN
  • Organising training for staff so they are aware and confident about how to meet the needs of your child and others in school.

SEN Governors

The SEN Governors are responsible for:

  • Making sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEND, through regular contact with school staff.



How will school measure the progress of my child?

  1. Your child's progress is continuously monitored by his/her class teacher/s.
  2. (P Scales) or GCSE grades. This is currently measured in National Curriculum Levels
  3. For pupils accessing additional intervention progress is measured against specific targets. This is reviewed termly.
  4. The progress of pupils with statement/EHCP is reviewed formally at an Annual Review with school representatives, the pupil and the parent/carers.
  5. The SENCO will also review the progress of cohorts of pupils with SEND to inform staff training needs.


How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child's progress in school?

Form tutor

If you have concerns about your child's progress you should contact your child's form tutor/class teacher. This can be by telephone on 01473 823496 or by email.


If you still have concerns you can contact the schools Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO), Mrs Jess Pearson. This can be by telephone (01473 823496) or by email (

Senior Leadership

If you are still worried you should contact the Assistant Head for Inclusion, Mr Trevor Brigden (
We aim to respond to all contact within 24 hours and certainly within 48 hours.


How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child's learning in school?

If school is concerned that your child is not making progress the school will contact you to discuss this in more detail.

This is to:

  1. Seek your views and listen to any concerns you may have
  2. Plan any additional support your child will receive
  3. Discuss with you any appropriate referrals to outside professionals to support your child's learning.


What are the different types of support available for pupils with SEND in this school?

Types of Support

What could this mean for your child?

Who can get this kind of support?

Class teacher input via good/outstanding classroom teaching

  • Ensuring that the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all students in their class.
  • Ensuring that all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • Putting in place different ways of teaching so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning or pair work.
  • Putting in place specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SEN Team or outside staff) to support your child to learn.
  • Staff including the SENCO will have carefully checked on your child's progress and will have decided that your child has a gap in their understanding/learning or social development and needs some extra support to close the gap.
  • Staff will plan sessions for your child with targets to help your child to make more progress.

All pupils receive this provision.

Specific small group work or individual intervention.

This may be:

  • Run in or outside of the classroom.
  • Run by a Learning Support Assistant, class teacher, senco or outside professional who has had training to run these groups.

These are called Intervention groups *examples below

  • Your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENCO (or you will have raised your concerns) as needing more specialist input instead of or in addition to class teaching and intervention groups.
  • You will be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to an outside professional e.g. an educational psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child's particular needs better and be able to support them most effectively in school.
  • The outside professional may work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include;
    • Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g. changing some aspects of teaching to support them better
    • Support to set targets which will include their specific expertise
    • A group or individual work led by the outside professional (or by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional)
  • The school will tell you how support will be used and what strategies may be put into place.

Any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning or social development.

Specialist monitoring and assessment by outside agencies


Pupils with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through whole class teaching and intervention groups.


Examples of Intervention work may include the following:

  • Literacy booster groups
  • Numeracy booster groups
  • Social skills work
  • Individualised spelling programmes
  • Supported reading


What happens for children whose learning needs are severe and complex?

This is usually detailed via a Statement of SEN (or from Sept 2014, an Education, Health and Care Plan; EHCP) This means your child will have been identified by the SENCO as needing a particularly high level of support or provision which cannot be provided from the resources  normally available in the school. 

Your child may need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school.

  • The school (or you as a parent) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child's needs. This is a legal process and you can find out more about this by following this link [link]
  • Suffolk Parent Partnership are also able to support and guide parents through this process. [link]
  • The local authority will get information from school and from you. They then decide whether they think your child's needs seem complex enough to need statutory assessment. If this is the case, they will ask you and all professionals working with your child, to write a report outlining your child's needs. If they do not think your child needs this they will ask the school to continue with the support currently available.
  • After all the reports have been sent in, the local authority will decide if your child's needs are severe and complex. If this is the case they will write an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).
  • The EHCP will outline the support your child should receive and what strategies should be put into place.


How is extra support allocated to pupils?

The funding for SEND is contained within the schools budget. Additional funding can be applied for, by the school, for individuals whose needs have been assessed as severe and complex.


What support do we have for you as a parent of a child with SEND?

School staff are able to signpost parents and carers to appropriate support groups or outside agencies.

  • Prior to your child joining our school the class teacher/SENCO is available to meet with you to discuss your child's needs and any concerns you may have.
  • All information from outside professionals will be shared with you. The school will also contact you to discuss any new assessments and ideas suggested by outside agencies for your child.
  • Every child has a 'planner' which is used to support communication between home and school. Additional resources such as contact books can be provided if required.

Support for parents of children with Autistic Spectrum Condition (ASC), including Aspergers Syndrome.

  • School staff facilitate parent support meetings on a half termly basis. These are largely 'parent guided' and support and information is made available to parents on issues the group have previously identified. Occasionally outside professionals are invited in.

Suffolk Parent Partnership


How accessible is our school for pupils with SEND?

The school is on a single level with no flights of stairs and is accessible to students with physical disabilities.

There are accessible toilets in 3 of the school buildings.

We monitor school and site development to ensure that, within the resources available to us, all new equipment or buildings are accessible to all pupils, regardless of their needs.

Detailed information is contained in the school's accessibility plan.


How will we support your child when they are moving to another class or leaving this school?

We recognise that 'moving on' can be difficult for a child with SEN and take steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible.

When moving classes in school information, including data, is accessible to all teachers. If your child is moving to another school we make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.

  • Primary to High school transition
    • The High School SENCO meets with primary school SENCOs during the summer term to ensure that information is shared between schools.
    • Year 6 pupils with SEND may be invited to attend an additional transition day to meet with SEN team.
    • SEND pupils are supported by the High school SEN team on the 'main' year 6 Induction Day.
  • High school to post 16 transition
    • All pupils have access to the Careers Advisor during years 10 & 11.
    • Some pupils are offered the support of the Integrated Team, whose job it is to support pupils with SEND in the transition to post 16 provision.
    • Depending on the pupil's level of need, some are offered additional and supported taster days at prospective colleges and schools.
    • The SENCO will liaise with the relevant staff at the new provision to ensure your child has a supported and positive transition.

Outlined below are examples of support which may be available through the school and Local Authority offer.

Hadleigh High School's Local Offer


  • Quality first teaching
  • Learning mentors (peer and staff)
  • Broad and balanced curriculum, appropriately differentiated to meet with needs of individuals
  • Home school communication via planners


  • Access to a Learning Support Assistant in identified lessons
  • Enhanced support at break and lunchtimes, including group supervision and structured activities
  • Differentiated curriculum
  • Literacy booster group
  • Numeracy booster group
  • Peer reading
  • Supported reading
  • Individualised spelling programmes
  • Self-esteem and self-confidence programmes
  • Positive behaviour programmes
  • Parent support group (ASC)
  • Reduced class size
  • Exam Access Arrangements (KS4)
  • Pastoral Support Plan
  • Enhanced ICT access with access to specialist software
  • Enhanced home school communication via email or home school contact book.


  • Individual LSA support
  • Time out systems
  • Enhanced ICT access with access to specialist hardware
  • Adapted environment including provision of specialist equipment and seating
  • Highly modified curriculum
  • Individualised programmes, working towards independence and enhancing self-care

Local Authority Local Offer

More detailed information












SEN Support (*this is the code SIMs will use for census)


Looked After Child




English as an Additional Language


Education Health Care Plan




Specific Learning Difficulty (Dyslexia, dyspraxia, Dyscalculia)


General Learning Difficulty


Visual Impairment


Hearing Impairment


Speech and Language Therapy


Autistic Spectrum Condition (including Aspergers)


Social, Emotional and Mental Health


Educational Psychologist


Advisory Teacher for Learning Support


Special Educational Need and/or Disability


Pupil Referral Unit


County Inclusive Resource (Autism Outreach service